Monday, October 12, 2009

My gear and playing


I play a Squier strat and an Epiphone Alleykat (on the right). The latter is a little bit like a cross of a les paul deluxe and a ES-335, so that's the one for JJ Cale sounds.

My bass (on the left) is an Epiphone Allen Woody Rumblekat (short scale). I like the clarinet player Woody Allen, but this bass was designed by bass player Allen Woody instead.

Both Epihones are rather recent, so I am still learning how to handle them.

My only amp is a Roland MicroCube, but I used to also have a BF 1965 VibroChamp, which was just sublime. Also have a Ibanez 10W bass amp on loan from a friend, but don't really use it much. I record with Zoom H4 and Audacity. Also trying to learn to record with Reaper software, which I've hear good things about.

For effect stomp boxes I have a DanEcho, a Daddy-O overdrive, and a Line 6 Constrictor compression pedal. The first two I've had for years, the last one I bought very recently. The overdrive I haven't used in years. The DanEcho is good for rockabilly slap, the Line 6 I bought for JJ stuff. Was just intriqued what a compressor might do, for funk rhythm, country lead, and JJ Cale stuff.

Here's my first recording with the two Epiphones, and I try to play in the style of JJ:
http://www.box.net/shared/88yshoa66u
The progression is a mess of some JJ things. So it's like Lies, Cajun Moon and After midnight mixed together.
Dm, F, G,
Dm, F, C,
Dm, G,
Dm, G, A
... or something like that, I forgot already!

Here's another one, on the Stratocaster I have, playing just on one string up on down:
http://www.box.net/shared/2rls5gjvc6
The chords are Dm and A7. And the solos is the open D string, playing a minor pentatonic or dorian or something like that.

3 comments:

  1. What I would do to get that tone! My only amp is a roland micro cube (great little amp), but i find when I try to play my envelop filter through it, it overloads it and comes out muffled. I bought a Triple Leaf envelop filter because I thought that might get me closer to JJ's tone. Is your line 6 Constrictor compression pedal okay through the Roland? I might be mistaken, but I believe a compression pedal and an envelop filter are the same, but I might be wrong. Anyway, I guess my question is, what do you set your roland at to get that tone?

    Thanks as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JJ records have used a limiter/compressor and wah for sure. I think envelope filter is also called an auto-wah?

    For sweet tones at home, I now play through Kustom Contender, has the tube tone. Roland MC is great, but hasn't got that tube warmth happening, it's more hi-fi. I do use the compressor, but rather rarely. I just overdrive the amp (volume up), turn down the tone on the guitar and play softly with finger. Never did nail JJ tone anyways...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I now actually play:
    Epiphone Dot
    Epiphone Alleykat
    Squier classic vibe 60s custom telecaster
    and various ukuleles...

    ReplyDelete