Wednesday, October 21, 2009

JJ cale covers on youtube

In my youtube "channel" I favorited a bunch of amateur covers of JJ. A couple of pro ones in there too.

Most of them have something of worth, like a sneak peek at the chords played... :D

Here are some picks:
- KENOEFF has quite a few great covers live at his living room.
- RAYBLUE69 has made the best imitations of JJs recordings (about 27 of them) I've ever heard.
- Mickclipes has a real nice Precious memories cover.
- Rett Wills really knows his You got me on so bad.
- Harris Brothers get a on a roll with a great rendition of "If You're Ever in Oklahoma"
- And I always dug Howard Emerson, here's his "Crazy Momma"
- Harry De Visser, without just imitating, gets a very "JJ" sound going with a take on "Former me"

Also JJ Cale said he was influenced by Clarence Gatemouth Brown. What could be a greater honour, than being covered by one of your idols: Don't cry sister

And while Tom Petty was a special guest on the recent tour, I never knew they played some JJ on their gigs too, like "13 days".

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I like your good blog about JJ Cale, one of my favorite musicians. I learned guitar a lot in playing and listening his songs.
    I just made a modest cover of "Don't Cry Sister" with a friend on vocals and electric guitar.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2T0r2Hbk-8

    I hope you will kike it!
    Musicaly

    Jean-Sébastien from Auvergne, France

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there in Finland!

    Great idea to post jj-tabs, I'll have to have a closer look, as I startet recently playing electrical Blues (guitar); for the moment I was looking for "who am i telling you" from the cd "road to escondido" (not found).
    Then I tried to join your blog, unfortunately this seems only possible when registered to yahoo, google , twitter or so, which I prefer to avoid for privacy reasons. However, great job anyway, please continue;
    greetings from torsten (Germany)
    E-Mail: dejavuts(at)t-online.de

    ReplyDelete