Friday, October 16, 2009

Artists influenced by J.J. Cale

There are plenty of people influenced by him. The short list usually being Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler.

Clapton's first solo album, "there's one in every crowd", "Backless" and "461 Ocean Blvd" are the one's that come to my mind for JJ influence. "Backless" of course also has EC's "Golder Ring" which JJ covered. Here's Clapton's less known JJ cover from "Backless" album:
I'll make love to ... on Amazon
and here's a relaxing song off "No Reason to cry":
County jail blues ... on Amazon

When Dire Straits album On every Street came out, I bought it, even saw them here at the local stadium. But this song at the time sounded to me like very JJesque:
When it comes to you ... on Amazon

... well it sounds like Mark Knopfler to me now. Always been a big fan of the first album of Dire Straits, or even the first three. On every street isn't one of their best. But anyway, I assume there are similarities in the beat of the early DS and JJ, just from liking them both! :D

Also a *very* popular songwriter here in Finland (his albums always go to top ten, or #1) called J Karjalainen was heavily influenced by JJ cale in the beginning (this was the 80s). Even his band was called J Karjalainen and mustat lasit. Mustat lasit means sunglasses... in other words Shades (as per JJ's album). And J Karjalainen, although his real name, to me that is not far from something like JJ Calelainen! :)

Inspired by JJ, this J. Karjalainen guy even bought a Harmony guitar and played it on the first Mustat Lasit -album. Karjalainen says about that time:
"I didn't like my electric guitar, sold it, and got a cheapo acoustic to mimic Cale."
"Cale hit me very hard. There was no pretending, no painted faces, no long guitar solos. Just real easy, laid back home grown groove"


Here's one upbeat track from Karjalainen's early live album:
Jussi sä oot hyvä mulle
Name of the track translates to "Jussi, you are so good to me". Jussi the Finnish version of the name John. But I wouldn't know if he means John W. Cale. :D

For really short clips of Karjalainen's two early albums:
first album
live album

1 comment: