Monday, November 16, 2009

"Mississippi river"

This is where it's at! Real JJ groooove! Why nobody has tabbed this yet? Maybe somebody has, too lazy to do a search...

The verse goes Dm-C, Dm-Am, like this:
[Dm]Mississippi River railroad track
Want to go to Memphis [C] my baby [Dm]back
Get me a motorcycle take off tomorrow
If it don't run [Am] get me a car

I use the fifth fret barred Dm (x57765) and play the C xx555x) just by lifting the other fingers, just leaving the one barre finger on board. The Am is at the fifth fret too. So all those three at easy reach, so you can concntrate on the groooooooove, not the changes. Actually I don't play full barre, I have the thumb over the bass strings instead... lazy ol' back porch style fretting... I dig it.

The chorus is:
[G]Walking down the highway
[Dm]Thumbing down the road
[G]Got to get there
[A]How I don't know

For the G there I use the open G5 chord: Gx00033. Where I thumb the two bass strings. You needn't do that, I just find it comfy. Anyway, the way I pick this G for the intro bit is:
-------2---------
---2-----2--------
-----0--------0---
-0---------0------ where the last four notes I might strum as well (two up strums, then a down strum and an upstrum)... and then it's to the D minor chord which I play again up fifth fret. Then the G picking thing and then pounding the fifth fret A major chord to end the progression.

The ending going down the neck, something like this:
Dm - C - Bb - Am (which is 10th fret, 8 fret, 6th fret, 5ft fret)
Gm - Fmaj7 - Gm - C - Dm (third fret, first fret, open, open, open)

(where the latter Gm I fret like this 3x0333. I guess Em7 would work too)

For the ending Dm this "Dm add2" sounds kinda nice:
x02231

No solos this time. Maybe later.

1 comment:

  1. I use the d minor pentatonic scale, starting on the 12 fret D string, and work my way up an octave to the 15th fret B string.

    I'm not very good at tabbing things out (or explaining them for that matter ;)

    anyway, it works in a pinch if you play around with it.

    ReplyDelete